Summer Travel Packing Tips

Since summer travels officially kicked off  Memorial Day weekend I’m sharing a couple summer travel packing tips + recommendations!

Summer Travel Packing Tips | Casual Summer Travel Outfit Inspo | Louella Reese Life & Style Blog

c/o stripe swing dress | similar chambray shirt | c/o quilted crossbody bag | similar sneakers | c/o blush stone earrings | cable cuff | cable ring | c/o quilted weekender travel bag | c/o quilted navy backpack

So I know summer doesn’t officially kick off until June 21st however, let’s be honest, Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial start to summer. Therefore, I’m calling it summer and saying summer travels have begun! I mean, most kids are out of school now {or very soon} and trips to the beach, Disney World, and other exciting destinations are right around the corner. Or may have started for you Memorial Day weekend. For us, we spent the long weekend at the lake house with Joshua’s family. Which is only about 45 minutes to an hour {or more depending on crazy lake traffic} from our home. However, to us, it’s totally a getaway and counts as summer travel in our minds!

Therefore, we packed our bags full of summer travel essentials!

Summer Travel Packing Tips | Casual Summer Travel Outfit Idea | Louella Reese Life & Style Blog

Summer Travel Packing Tips | Casual Summer Travel Outfit and Perfect Travel Backpack | Louella Reese Life & Style Blog

First up, let’s talk about the three bags I’m carrying this summer for long weekends away. A weekender, backpack, and easy crossbody. All of which are perfect for packing in the car or carrying through the airport.

The weekender is great for holding all your necessities and looks for quick or long weekend away. While a backpack fits all the extras, electronics, and magazines. And, of course, you need a crossbody for all the walking, shopping, and exploring you’ll be doing.

Summer Travel Packing Tips | Casual Summer Travel Outfit and Quilted Travel Bags | Louella Reese Life & Style Blog

Now, let’s dive into those summer travel packing tips and recommendations….

Pack Light, Pack Versatile

One of the best parts of packing for summer vs. winter is your items are smaller, less bulky. So that’s one way you’re immediately packing lighter come summer. But also, aim to pack exactly the number of outfits you’ll need, no extras or additional just in case. More times then not {aka 99% of the time} you won’t wear those extra looks you brought. They’ll just weigh down your bag and shoulder! Really think about what you’ll be doing on this vacation, each day, and what you’ll need specifically. This will help you pack only items you truly need and/or will actually wear.

Also, pack for versatility! Pack items you can wear with multiple looks. Items that give you options. Rather than being one and done. You can find some recommendations here from my trip recent trip to Cataloochee Ranch. I shared three skirts and three ways to style each, all with the same tops too

Compact Your Beauty Products

This is probably a duh but either purchased travel size beauty products or purchase smaller TSA approved bottles you can put your lotions, shampoo, conditioner, etc in. This will one allow you to carry your bags rather than having to check them at the airport. And two, it’ll keep your beauty bag smaller and load lighter.

Wear Your Sneakers

Most likely these will be your biggest shoes, the ones that would take up the most room. Therefore, you should wear them rather than pack them. Plus, if you are going through the airport having on sneakers is great if gates are changed, your layover was shortened, or your gate is just SUPER far from the security line. Also, if you’re traveling via car, sneakers are great for hitting the ground running upon your arrival.

Think Comfort

Chances are you’re going to be doing a lot of walking or a lot of lounging. Therefore, comfort is key when packing. Also, most destinations for summer travel are HOT! You don’t want to be wearing something you aren’t comfortable in when you’re hot, sticky, and sweaty. Opt for pieces you feel comfortable in, don’t mind sweating in, and will work for full days of exploring and/or being in the sun.

Also, pack sneakers. Always! You’ll always be thankful you did. And by pack, I mean wear, as stated above 😉

photos by Kristen Bishop Day

1. MCKENNA
    June 5, 2018 / 9:55 am

Great tips girl! Will definitely have to use them on my upcoming vacation!

2. Jessica Camerata
    June 5, 2018 / 9:57 am

I need to get better and more efficient with my packing. I think I’m bringing everything and then realize I didn’t plan well. And I just can not get on board with the carry on life!

xo Jessica
    My Style Vita

• June 5, 2018 / 10:04 am

For blog trips I’ve been trying everything on before, taking photos, and only packing what I’m wearing in those looks plus workout clothes and pajamas of course haha. But it has really helped me cut down on accessories and additional unnecessary items I won’t be wearing. Girl the carry on life is the best life haha.

3. Mollie
    June 5, 2018 / 1:00 pm

These are such great tips – I’m the queen of packing light in the summer. When it gets to a certain temp (90 and higher) I only wear like 3 things LOL I can’t stand feeling hot! Love that backpack too!

xx Mollie

4. June 5, 2018 / 1:11 pm

These are great tips! I love the travel bags especially the crossbody which would let me carry all my essentials and I don’t have to carry a huge bag!

• June 5, 2018 / 1:30 pm

Thank you Belle! It really is the best size and since it’s quilted/fabric it can expand a little bit if needed.

5. June 5, 2018 / 1:44 pm

Great tips! I love your travel bags, they’re so cute!

XOXO
    Cathy

6. June 5, 2018 / 3:14 pm

I mean you already know this, but I love how versatile your wardrobe is and it always seems like a breeze for you to pack up for a trip! Loving your new travel bags too!

• June 5, 2018 / 4:57 pm

You’re so sweet! Thank you gal! I wish it was always a breeze haha but still some perfecting to do. You know Vera, she never disappoints!

7. June 5, 2018 / 6:00 pm

The biggest thing for me is to pack things that are in the same color family/I can mix and match together to create multiple outfits! And I’m loving this easy breezy dress!

xo, Sara

• June 6, 2018 / 7:59 am

Yes! Definitely great to do that, keeps things versatile. And YES to easy breezy dresses. They are the best for summer travel.

8. Those Vera Bradley bags are so cute! I have that weekender bag and I love it for a weekend and carry on travels! I try to pack versatile pieces of clothing, helps me pack less and smart.

• June 6, 2018 / 8:00 am

Thank you Laura! Yay, glad you’re a fan of it as well! Definitely agree with you on the versatile pieces.

9. June 5, 2018 / 7:26 pm

Super cute travel accessories! Also love your tips – definitely agree with keeping comfort in mind.

XO

10. June 6, 2018 / 12:31 am

Wearing my bulkiest shoes was such a game changer for me! It makes packing SO much easier. I also love love love your Vera Bradley picks!

11. June 6, 2018 / 12:57 am

Love these tips babe! Comfort is a huge factor for me and I think it makes such a big difference!

Kileen

June 6, 2018 / 10:01 am

These bags are perfect for a quick weekend trip!

13. Emily
    June 6, 2018 / 2:49 pm

I have that weekender bag in navy & I love it! Perfect when traveling in the airport too!