Blogger Events: When to go, When to Stay Home

If you’re a blogger, this is probably a question you ask yourself often – should I go to these blogger events? Or are they worth it? Or should I just stay home and watch Netflix while eating popcorn. Been there, done that. So let’s talk about when to go and when to stay home and do just that!

Blogger Events: When to go, When to stay home featured on Louella Reese Life & Style Blog

Taylor Reese – Reese’s Hardware – Dress | Lauren Schwaiger – Lauren SchwaigerDress | Erica Taylor – Tayloring StyleDress | Anna – Peppered in StyleDress | Laura Leigh – Louella ReeseDress | Kristina Williams – Dear November DaysDress

Here is Charlotte we have a CRAZY amount of blogger events. Which is absolutely amazing and us Charlotte bloggers are so incredibly blessed that is the case. However, going to every single one just isn’t possible and also, is it beneficial? More times then not these events fall on the same evening. Like seriously nothing for two weeks and then three-four events on the same evening. It is bananas! Deciding which one to go to can be hard! I know, I know first world problems BUT blogging is my business, it is my job so attending these events can really help me or not. Same goes for every other blogger on that guest list. And those in other cities!

Therefore, we need to put some thought into the events we choose and also, when we decide to stay home! Because, y’all that is okay too! So let’s chat about a few things to think about before sending in your RSVP.

PHOTOS BY DEAANNA KOURTNEY PHOTOGRAPHY

Should I attend this Blogger Event?

Do You Want to Go?

This is a serious question. Do you WANT to go to the event? Is it one you immediately felt excited about upon reading the invitation? Is it a spot you’ve been wanting to visit or a restaurant you’ve been dying to try?

If you answered yes to any (or all of these) then go girl friend! You’re bound to have a great time if it’s something you’re looking forward to and excited about. If you answered no to any (or all of these) then put it on hold for a bit. Spend some time thinking about it and move on to the additional questions below, before sending your RSVP.

Will It Benefit You/Your Business?

Do you see yourself walking away from this event feeling thankful that you went due to potential opportunities gained from going? If yes, then 100% GO!  If blogging is your business (your lively hood) then it’s important that you go if you truly see a benefit in it.

Whether that’s making connections with the brand or PR company hosting the event, meeting other bloggers in your city that you’ve been wanting to connect with, or networking with others attending. Think about those outside of the blogging world, it’s important for them to go to networking events to expand just that, their network. It’s important for bloggers as well!

If you don’t see if being beneficial, then you definitely should not feel bad about passing on the opportunity. For example, there is a brand in Charlotte that hosts events almost monthly. While they can be fun for connecting with other Charlotte bloggers there is no real benefit in going. The brand is going to work with any of us (on paid campaigns) and we’re not going to connect with others that could offer up a beneficial partnerships. So yes it’s fun but not beneficial. Therefore, if Grey’s Anatomy is calling my name, I’m RSVPing no and not feel an ounce of guilt about it.

Neutral Linen Dress for Spring featured on Louella Reese Life & Style Blog
Neutral Linen Dress for Spring featured on Louella Reese Life & Style Blog
What’s the ROI?

What are you getting from attending this event? A good time, yummy food + champagne, social time with your blogger besties, an opportunity to chat with a brand you love, or great networking. Is whatever you’re getting from this event worth the time it takes to get ready for it, drive to, and attend. That may sound harsh or a little too straightforward but ladies and gents, your time is valuable. You need to make sure you’re getting something in return for the time your investing. And then double that if you’re sharing/promoting the event while there or afterwards with the brand/company/restaurant tagged.

If you’re happy with the ROI then heck yes you should go. If you aren’t sure if it’ll be worth it then maybe reply with a maybe (if possible) and make a game time decisions or a straight no if you’re definitely not feeling it.

Are you burning bridges by not going?

The chances of that happening are SUPER slim y’all so please, please do not stress about that when making your decision. Everyone understands that everyone is busy and if they aren’t busy, maybe they need some down time. So rest assured, you will not be burning bridges if you say no to a single event.

What’s your take on attending or passing on blogger events? Share below in the comments, I would love to hear!  p.s. these snaps are from a recent event with Scoop Charlotte at Neiman Marcus

1. March 15, 2019 / 6:16 am

This is great feedback Laura! One thing I do miss about living in Charlotte is how many cool events there were. One week during my last few months living there, I remember I had an event every night, M-F haha!! It was crazy.

xoxo A

• March 15, 2019 / 9:37 am

Thank you Annaliese! I am really happy to hear you found it to be helpful! Oh wow, that is bananas! Definitely starts to pick up when the temperatures rise.

2. Lisa Autumn
    March 15, 2019 / 7:58 am

Ahhh this looks like so much fun! I need to go to more events..

x Lisa | lisaautumn.com

3. March 15, 2019 / 11:18 am

OBSESSED with both of those looks on you!

And I definitely agree that not all events are created equal and that it’s okay to say no sometimes even to those that sound great! Because the truth is, if you’re not in the right frame of mind to attend you won’t get out of it what you should.

• March 18, 2019 / 11:10 am

Thank you so much Morgan! Definitely wanted to bring them both home with me. If only I had an occasion to wear that dress to!

So glad you agree and I 100% agree with your statement as well!

4. March 15, 2019 / 11:41 am

I totally ask myself these questions too! There are so many events in Chicago that I have to prioritize. Girl, these dresses are gorgeous on you!

5. March 15, 2019 / 1:09 pm

You took the words right out of my mouth!!! These are such true tips and sometimes when I am feeling guilty about “missing out” on an event I need to remind myself of these!

xx rebecca

• March 18, 2019 / 11:11 am

Thank you so much Rebecca! We all definitely need to remind ourselves more often that it’s okay to say no.

6. Liz
    March 15, 2019 / 1:20 pm

Such a great post! All of my invites are LA based and since I’m 2-3 hours away, it’s hard to find time to drive down there during the week so I’ve become VERY picky 😉 It has to be right event for the right brand. Also that first dress is magical!!

• March 18, 2019 / 11:12 am

Thank you Liz! I really, really appreciate that 🙂 Oh yeah, that’s a long ways!! Totally understand being very picky. I definitely would be as well.

7. March 15, 2019 / 1:59 pm

I LOVE how unique this post is – I havent seen another blogger do a post like this, and I really like it! We don’t have a lot of events here in Vancouver, but for some reason this week and next we were suddenly hit with like 10 events and I’ve been stressing about going to all of them. I’m going to take your advice and go through and figure out which ones I actually should go to since I just can’t do them all!

• March 18, 2019 / 11:12 am

You are making my day with your comment! Thank you so much Lee 🙂 Isn’t it just crazy how that happens? Nothing and then all at once! So glad you found these tips to be helpful!

8. March 15, 2019 / 2:23 pm

Such a great read. As a Long Island blogger, I find myself wanting to attend all of these amazing blogger events that take place in NYC however, I am not always able to attend as it does take over an hour each way to get there and come home. The struggle is REAL but reading this made me feel better about my decisions!

xoxo Sarah

• March 18, 2019 / 11:13 am

Thank you Sarah! I truly appreciate that! Yes, that is a long way to travel for an event. Being picky is definitely important in that case!

9. March 15, 2019 / 4:11 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more on this post! We have a ton of blogger events in Houston and I am also picky about which ones I attend. You look AMAZING in both of those dresses also! I’ll take one of each!

xoxo,
    Kim

• March 18, 2019 / 11:13 am

Thank you! So glad you agree 🙂 and thank you tons gal! I super appreciate that. Right, totally wanted them both!

10. Stephanie
    March 15, 2019 / 6:19 pm

Oh my gosh, this spoke to me today! I have the hardest time deciding whether or not to go to events on a regular basis. This was so helpful to read!

11. March 15, 2019 / 8:59 pm

I love going to blogger events! In the last year and a half our community has really grown and I love spending time with my blogger friends even if it’s just brunch or drinks on our own dime.
    Chic on the Cheap

• March 18, 2019 / 11:15 am

That is awesome girl friend!! It is always so nice to get together with people who understand your industry.

12. March 16, 2019 / 3:04 am

This is such a great post girl! I love this advice, the desire to go is a huge one for me!

Kileen

13. March 17, 2019 / 11:40 pm

Love this post Laura! I 100% agree with your thoughts on going/not going to ALL the events we get invited to.
    PS. You look so pretty in that pink dress!! xx

• March 18, 2019 / 11:16 am

Thank you Lauren! So glad you agree 🙂 and you’re so sweet, thank you!!! You were a total bombshell in that white dress!

March 17, 2019 / 11:53 pm

I’m dying over the color of that first dress! It looks stunning on you.

• March 18, 2019 / 11:17 am

Is it not amazing? 100% the prettiest dress I’ve ever tried on (minus my wedding dress, of course haha). Thank you so much Anna!